“First time in centuries”: Israeli security forces block entry of Jerusalem’s Catholic leader to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre — Reuters

“First time in centuries”: Israeli security forces block entry of Jerusalem’s Catholic leader to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre — Reuters

Photo: Getty Images

Israeli police cites security threat amid war with Iran: Catholics, Muslims and Jews unable to properly celebrate major holidays

On Palm Sunday, March 27, Israeli police stopped the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, and monk Francesco Ielpo as they were walking on foot toward the Church of the Holy Sepulchre — one of the most important Christian shrines in the world. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is traditionally believed to be built on the site where Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected. As a result, the cardinal was unable to celebrate the traditional mass “for the first time in centuries,” according to the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, Reuters reported.

Police explained their actions by citing security concerns related to the ongoing war between Israel and Iran. According to security forces, all holy sites in Jerusalem’s Old City — Christian, Muslim, and Jewish — have been closed to worshippers since the beginning of the hostilities, especially those without bomb shelters. The Patriarchate’s request for a special exemption for Palm Sunday was rejected, with police arguing that the narrow streets of the Old City do not allow for the rapid deployment of emergency services, creating a real risk to life in the event of mass casualties.

Religions deprived of celebrations

The restriction affected all three major world religions:

Christians were unable to celebrate Palm Sunday at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week — the most important week in the church calendar, culminating in Easter.

Muslims prayed in an almost empty Al-Aqsa Mosque during Ramadan.

Jews had virtually no access to the Western Wall, although cleaners were still allowed to traditionally remove prayer notes ahead of Passover.

Residents of the Old City and religious leaders have pointed to inconsistencies in the application of restrictions. In particular, Muslim Waqf preachers had access to Al-Aqsa during Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr. On the same Palm Sunday, Franciscan monks and a small group of worshippers were allowed into another Christian shrine in the Old City just a few minutes’ walk from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

A Patriarchate spokesperson, Farid Jubran, clarified that police had been informed in advance: the mass was planned privately, behind closed doors. “But despite this, they insisted,” he said.

International outrage

The incident sparked criticism from Western leaders:

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said the ban on religious leaders was “an insult not only to believers but to the entire community that upholds freedom of religion.”

Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said he would summon the Israeli ambassador for explanations.

French President Emmanuel Macron condemned the Israeli police decision, describing it as another sign of “a worrying increase in violations of the status of holy sites in Jerusalem.”

As of publication, neither the Israeli Foreign Ministry nor the office of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had commented. The Vatican also did not respond to requests for comment.

Notably, on the same Sunday, Pope Leo made unusually strong remarks, saying that God rejects the prayers of leaders who wage wars and keep “hands stained with blood.”

It is also worth noting that on Saturday, Pope Leo made a one-day visit to Monaco, a tax-free microstate on the French Riviera known as a haven for billionaires and luxury yachts, and called on its residents to share their wealth and help those in need.

banner

SHARE NEWS

link

Complain

like0
dislike0

Comments

0

Similar news

Similar news

Photo: UP Investigation / Ukrainska Pravda / YouTube Businessman and close associate of the president Timur Mindich has explained why he filed a lawsuit against Volodymyr Zelenskyy. In a comment to

Photo: Getty Images The National Police of Ukraine confirmed searches in a number of regional headquarters but stated that reports about the resignation of its chief, Ivan Vyhivskyi, are untrue. Ac

Photo: Getty Images The Appeals Chamber of the High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine has scheduled a hearing to review the appeal filed by the defense of Andriy Yermak, who is contesting his prevent

Photo: NABU An investigation linked to the high-profile corruption case involving former Supreme Court chairman Vsevolod Kniaziev is underway as detectives from the National Anti-Corruption Bureau o

Photo: depositphotos A Russian Shahed drone struck a Chinese commercial vessel in the Black Sea overnight on Monday, May 18, according to Ukrainian Navy spokesperson Dmytro Pletenchuk. “It is inter

Photo: Getty Images The High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine has chosen a preventive measure for former Head of the Presidential Office Andriy Yermak, who is suspected of money laundering. The cou

Photo: EPA U.S. President Donald Trump said the ceasefire between the United States and Iran remains in effect despite a new exchange of strikes that marked the most serious escalation since the tru

Photo: Screenshot from the video A large forest fire in the border area of Chernihiv region, caused by shelling, cannot currently be actively extinguished due to ongoing Russian FPV drone attacks, r