Trump reduces Europe’s “shield”: Reuters reports US preparing to scale back NATO forces

Trump reduces Europe’s “shield”: Reuters reports US preparing to scale back NATO forces

Photo: EPA

According to Reuters, the administration of US President Donald Trump is preparing to inform NATO allies about a reduction in American military capabilities that could be used to support European countries in the event of a major crisis.

The reported changes concern NATO’s so-called force model, under which member states designate military assets that can be deployed in case of war or a serious security emergency, including an attack on an alliance member. While the exact composition of these forces remains classified, the Pentagon is said to be planning a significant cut to the US contribution.

The Trump administration continues to argue that European allies should take primary responsibility for defending the continent rather than relying on the United States. According to sources cited by Reuters, Washington is expected to formally present its intention to reduce its role at a defense policy meeting in Brussels scheduled for Friday, May 22.

At the same time, US officials stress that the country remains committed to NATO’s nuclear deterrence framework. Pentagon policy chief Elbridge Colby has previously stated that the United States is still prepared to use its nuclear capabilities to defend NATO allies even if European countries assume greater responsibility for conventional defense forces.

The report highlights growing concern within the alliance over a potential US retrenchment from Europe, with some diplomats warning that reduced American involvement in NATO planning could deepen existing tensions.

Trump and his advisers have repeatedly criticized European allies for insufficient defense spending and reliance on US security guarantees, despite the continued presence of tens of thousands of American troops across Europe.

Reuters also notes that one senior NATO diplomat expressed confidence that the United States would still respond to any major security threat against Europe, despite the planned adjustments.

Separately, reports indicate Trump has ordered the withdrawal of around 5,000 US troops from Germany, a move that would roll back US force levels to pre-2022 figures and affect key military units, including a brigade combat team and long-range artillery assets previously planned for deployment.

banner

SHARE NEWS

link

Complain

like0
dislike0

Comments

0

Similar news

Similar news

Photo: Getty Images US President Donald Trump held a tense conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday, exposing deep differences over the future course of the war with Ir

Photo: Office of the President of Ukraine According to the presidential adviser, Lukashenko should be judged by his actions rather than his words. Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko said he is

Photo: EPA The leaders’ summit of the group is scheduled for June 15–17 in France. Syria will take part in the G7 summit in France next month as a guest country. Damascus will be represented by Syr

Photo: Getty Images The Appeals Chamber of the High Anti-Corruption Court (HACC) reviewed the complaint filed by former Head of the Presidential Office Andriy Yermak regarding the preventive measure

Photo: Bundeskanzler Friedrich Merz/Х German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has sent a letter to EU leaders proposing a new “associated member” status for Ukraine within the European Union, according to

Photo: ZN Xi Jinping is increasingly shaping a new global order by exploiting the weakening position of the United States, Russia’s war against Ukraine, and China’s strategic partnership with Vladim

Photo: EPA Vladimir Putin once again failed to secure Chinese approval for the construction of the “Power of Siberia 2” gas pipeline during his latest visit to Beijing, according to a report by The

Photo: Getty Images NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said Russia would face “devastating consequences” if it decided to use nuclear weapons against Ukraine. Speaking at a press conference in Bruss