Photo: State Emergency Service of Ukraine
A total of 24 people, including three children, were killed in Russia’s strike on a residential building in Kyiv’s Darnytskyi district, Ukrainian Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said. Search and rescue operations were completed by 8:00 a.m. on May 15.
Rescuers worked through the night at the site, where half of an apartment block collapsed. More than 3,000 cubic meters of debris were cleared during the operation, which lasted over 28 hours. Emergency crews have now moved to recovery work.
Authorities confirmed that 48 people were injured, while 30 residents were rescued from under the rubble. Nearly 400 people received psychological assistance from emergency responders and police.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the victims included girls aged 12, 15, and 17. More than 20 injured people remain hospitalized.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated earlier that preliminary information indicates the building was struck by a Russian Kh-101 missile manufactured earlier this year.
May 15 was declared a day of mourning in Kyiv, with all entertainment events canceled across the city.
Ukrainian officials said the May 13–14 assault became the largest Russian aerial attack since the start of the full-scale war, involving 1,692 drones and 41 missiles over two days.