The US is set to redeploy 5,000 troops to Poland after all

The US is set to redeploy 5,000 troops to Poland after all

Photo: Getty Images

Warsaw wins battle for US troops.

US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that the United States will deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, Politico reports.

The move appears to mark a partial reversal after earlier decisions by the Trump administration to reduce the American military presence in Europe over what Washington viewed as insufficient NATO support for the war against Iran.

Trump announced the deployment on social media without providing further details.

At the same time, he made it clear that the decision was linked to the election victory of Polish nationalist President Karol Nawrocki.

“In light of the successful election of current Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom I proudly supported, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland. Thank you for your attention to this matter!” Trump wrote online.

The announcement came shortly after the US administration unexpectedly canceled major military exercises in Poland — though officials later said they had only been postponed — and also revealed plans to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany.

A Polish official and a NATO representative, both speaking anonymously, said they were caught off guard by the decision because the US administration had not discussed it with allies in advance.

Trump has long criticized NATO and demanded that European countries increase defense spending.

He has also repeatedly expressed frustration that some allies did not support the United States and Israel during the war with Iran.

Last week, Polish military officials were informed that the Pentagon was canceling the planned deployment of 4,000 US troops to Poland.

The decision came as a surprise both to Warsaw and to American defense officials, POLITICO previously reported.

Later, US Vice President JD Vance said during a Tuesday press conference that the deployment had not been permanently canceled but merely postponed. He made the statement after criticism from Republicans in Congress.

banner

SHARE NEWS

link

Complain

like0
dislike0

Comments

0

Similar news

Similar news

Photo: EPA U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has arrived in India for talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, with energy security expected to be one of the central topics on the agenda, accordin

Photo: EPA President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has pushed back against a proposal by German Chancellor Friedrich Merz suggesting a special “associate membership” status for Ukraine in the European Union,

Photo: Getty Images The head of Estonia’s Foreign Intelligence Service, Kaido Rosin, told CNN that Russian President Vladimir Putin may have only a few months left to negotiate from a position of st

Photo: EPA Czech President Petr Pavel urged NATO to “show its teeth” and take a tougher stance against Russia, including potentially shooting down Russian aircraft violating allied airspace and disc

Photo: EPA According to the outlet, the main focus right now is ending the war. U.S. President Donald Trump convened a meeting with his top national security team on May 22 to discuss the war with

Photo: EPA Slovenian SDS party leader Janez Janša has been elected prime minister after securing a majority vote in the National Assembly, giving him the mandate to form a new government. During th

Photo: depositphotos Iran’s Supreme Leader has issued a directive stating that the country’s enriched uranium must not be transferred abroad, according to Reuters, which cited two senior Iranian sou

Photo: US Department of Defense The move will support US foreign policy and national security goals by strengthening the security of a partner country, the State Department said. The US State Depar