The United States and Iran exchange strikes: is this the end of the ceasefire?

The United States and Iran exchange strikes: is this the end of the ceasefire?

Photo: EPA

U.S. President Donald Trump said the ceasefire between the United States and Iran remains in effect despite a new exchange of strikes that marked the most serious escalation since the truce began a month ago.

According to Reuters, both Washington and Tehran insisted they do not seek further escalation even after Thursday’s clashes.

Iranian military officials claimed that U.S. forces attacked two vessels entering the Strait of Hormuz and also carried out strikes on Iranian territory. The U.S. military, meanwhile, said it responded after coming under Iranian attack.

Speaking to ABC News, Trump downplayed the incident, describing it as “just a light slap,” while stressing that the ceasefire was still holding.

Iranian state media later also stated that the situation had “returned to normal.”

The escalation came as Washington was reportedly waiting for Tehran’s response to a U.S. proposal aimed at formally ending the conflict. However, the draft agreement still leaves unresolved the main disputes between the two sides, including Iran’s nuclear program and guarantees for navigation through the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran’s Joint Armed Forces Command accused the United States of violating the ceasefire by attacking an Iranian oil tanker and another vessel, as well as launching airstrikes on civilian areas around Qeshm Island and the coastal areas of Bandar Khamir and Sirik.

In response, Iran said it targeted American warships east of the Strait of Hormuz and south of the port of Chabahar.

A representative of Iran’s Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters claimed the attacks caused “significant damage,” although United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said no American assets were hit.

According to CENTCOM, Iran used missiles, drones, and small boats in attacks against three U.S. destroyers. American forces later struck Iranian missile and drone launch positions as well as other military targets.

“CENTCOM does not seek escalation but remains prepared to defend U.S. forces,” the command said in a statement.

Later, Iranian broadcaster Press TV reported that after several hours of exchanges, “the situation on Iranian islands and in coastal cities along the Strait of Hormuz has returned to normal.”

This was not the first military exchange since the ceasefire began on April 7. Earlier this week, the United States said it destroyed six Iranian boats and intercepted missiles and drones during an Iranian attempt to disrupt a U.S. operation aimed at restoring shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

Separately, Washington on Thursday imposed sanctions on Iraq’s deputy oil minister and three militia leaders accused by the U.S. of supporting Iran.

At the same time, Israel announced that it had killed a Hezbollah commander in an airstrike on Beirut — the first Israeli strike on the Lebanese capital since last month’s ceasefire.

Ending Israeli attacks on Lebanon remains one of Iran’s key demands in negotiations with the United States.

banner

SHARE NEWS

link

Complain

like0
dislike0

Comments

0

Similar news

Similar news

Photo: UP Investigation / Ukrainska Pravda / YouTube Businessman and close associate of the president Timur Mindich has explained why he filed a lawsuit against Volodymyr Zelenskyy. In a comment to

Photo: Getty Images The National Police of Ukraine confirmed searches in a number of regional headquarters but stated that reports about the resignation of its chief, Ivan Vyhivskyi, are untrue. Ac

Photo: Getty Images The Appeals Chamber of the High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine has scheduled a hearing to review the appeal filed by the defense of Andriy Yermak, who is contesting his prevent

Photo: NABU An investigation linked to the high-profile corruption case involving former Supreme Court chairman Vsevolod Kniaziev is underway as detectives from the National Anti-Corruption Bureau o

Photo: depositphotos A Russian Shahed drone struck a Chinese commercial vessel in the Black Sea overnight on Monday, May 18, according to Ukrainian Navy spokesperson Dmytro Pletenchuk. “It is inter

Photo: Getty Images The High Anti-Corruption Court of Ukraine has chosen a preventive measure for former Head of the Presidential Office Andriy Yermak, who is suspected of money laundering. The cou

Photo: EPA U.S. President Donald Trump said the ceasefire between the United States and Iran remains in effect despite a new exchange of strikes that marked the most serious escalation since the tru

Photo: Screenshot from the video A large forest fire in the border area of Chernihiv region, caused by shelling, cannot currently be actively extinguished due to ongoing Russian FPV drone attacks, r