European Commission on hantavirus situation aboard cruise ship: no reason for concern

European Commission on hantavirus situation aboard cruise ship: no reason for concern

Photo: EPA

ECDC has sent an expert on board to assess the situation.

European Commission spokesperson Eva Hrncirova stated that authorities are closely monitoring the hantavirus outbreak aboard the cruise ship MV Hondius and that there is currently no reason for concern regarding its potential spread across Europe. She added that the EU remains in contact with member states, the World Health Organization, and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) on the matter.

“Let me first say the most important thing. Based on the available data and the current situation, there is no reason for concern at this time,” Hrncirova said in a comment to a European Pravda correspondent. “We are monitoring the situation very closely. We are in contact with all the necessary authorities. In fact, we have been in contact since the very first day we were informed about the illness on the cruise ship.”

The disease prevention agency has already sent an expert to the vessel, where the situation is currently being assessed, the spokesperson added.

“At this stage, we are doing everything necessary to ensure that the situation is not underestimated and that we are prepared to respond at every stage of developments,” Hrncirova concluded.

As previously reported, a hantavirus outbreak occurred aboard the MV Hondius, which is carrying nearly 150 people. So far, three deaths have been confirmed — a Dutch couple and a German citizen. The vessel remained stranded off the coast of Cape Verde for several days, but yesterday, following the emergency evacuation of three critically ill patients, it was cleared to sail to Tenerife, Spain.

banner

SHARE NEWS

link

Complain

like0
dislike0

Comments

0

Similar news

Similar news

Photo:  depositphotos Part-time employees will no longer qualify. Workers will only be allowed to receive deferment through one employer. Economy Minister Oleksii Soboliev confirmed that the Cabine

Photo: EPA Kyiv and the EU discussed the eventual end of temporary protection for Ukrainians. The Ukrainian government plans to obtain data on Ukrainian citizens currently under temporary protectio

Photo: EPA ECDC has sent an expert on board to assess the situation. European Commission spokesperson Eva Hrncirova stated that authorities are closely monitoring the hantavirus outbreak aboard the

Photo: 115th Separate Mechanized Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine / Facebook President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Ukraine will launch a major military reform starting in June, following final co

Photo: Getty Images The Cabinet of Ministers has extended the current electricity tariff for household consumers until 31 October 2026. This means Ukrainians will continue to pay 4.32 UAH per kWh.

Photo: depositphotos The National Anti-Corruption Bureau exposed employees of the Security Service of Ukraine on bribery charges. According to investigators, the National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NA

Photo: EPA President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy commented on the renewed debate over legalizing firearms for civilians following the April 18 shooting in Kyiv, where a gunman killed seven people

Photo: Getty Images Clarifications were provided by the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine. Many men and women have voluntarily joined the defense of Ukraine since the start of Russia’s full-scale inva